Re: proposal: possibility to read dumped table's name from file

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: possibility to read dumped table's name from file
Date: 2020-09-11 08:50:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

po 7. 9. 2020 v 14:14 odesílatel Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> Hi Pavel
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 6:22 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>

>> Here is updated patch for pg_dump
>>

> pg_dumpall also has –exclude-database=pattern and –no-comments option
> doesn't that qualify it to benefits from this feature? And please add a
> test case for this option

This patch is related to pg_dump (in this moment), so pg_dumpall options
are out of scope.

I am not sure if pg_dumpall needs this functionality - maybe, but I can use
bash or some similar for implementation of this feature. There is no
requirement to do it all necessary work under one transaction, one snapshot.

For pg_dump can be used different format, because it uses different
granularity. Some like "{+/-} dbname"

"--no-comments" is a global parameter without arguments. I don't understand
how this parameter can be related to this feature?

I am working on regress tests.

Regards

Pavel