Re: Commitfest 2021-11 Patch Triage - Part 2

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commitfest 2021-11 Patch Triage - Part 2
Date: 2021-11-09 17:11:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

2839: possibility to rename root namespace in plpgsql
> This patch addresses a feature request for making plpgsql easier to work
> with,
> but the approach has been questioned with the thread stalling since March
> in
> one of these discussion. Is there interest in picking this up or should we
> close it as Returned with Feedback?

This feature is from the category "nice to have, but we can live without it
well". There are few requests per decade about this feature. I think my
design is good enough, but surely it is not the only one.

We cannot use inspiration from Oracle's PL/SQL or from Ada, because this
requires a feature that is not supported in Postgres (pragmas). Without
pragma is relatively hard to find good design. PL/pgSQL options are not
native elements of language (I think so it is the best option), and other
designs are not fully correct (although they can look more natural). I
don't see any passion (negative or positive) about this feature, and I
think this feature can be returned without feedback. Maybe somebody will
come with other proposals, maybe we will have pragmas one day.

Much more important is extending the debug support of PL/pgSQL. This patch
can simplify implementations of PL/pgSQL debuggers, and this feature can be
a real benefit for PL/pgSQL developers.

Regards

Pavel