Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely
Date: 2015-05-29 07:11:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> > Le 29 mai 2015 8:10 AM, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> a
> écrit :
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I am not sure if PGXN can substitute contrib - mainly due deployment -
> It
> >> doesn't helps with MS Windows. Installing necessary software for
> compilation
> >> there is terrible.
> >>

> > I agree it's hard to compile an extension on Windows, but that's already
> > what we have. And I'm sure EDB will put all interesting contrib modules
> in
> > their windows installer to help users. They already go way further than
> any
> > Linux packages.
>
> Speaking with my Windows packager hat on, compiling with MinGW would
> not be that terrible I think for extensions, as all the existing
> Makefile machinery could be used for this purpose. MSVC stuff is more
> complicated though with what we have in-core, but still I think that
> we could do something with them if we refactor a bit the code and make
> easier the declaration of Project objects and have some proper
> documentation in the extension chapter, the idea being that users
> should not need to build more than a simple build.pl file linking to
> some of .pm files of the in-core perl module scripts, basically with a
> switch to src/tools/msvc. You would need to have those modules as well
> as the compiled deliverables to compile the extensions, but that's the
> same deal as any devel-* package on Linux.

I had a lot of problems with MSVC installation

Issues:

1. VS requires relatively new MS Windows - problem for people with Ms Win 7
and older

2. After installation you have to find and apply some critical fixes - some
is bad documented.

I have a few customers on MS Win - nobody was able to compile extension
there - and I had lot of trables - (but I worked with MSVC ten years ago)

Regards

Pavel