Re: proposal: enhancing plpgsql debug API - returns text value of variable content

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: enhancing plpgsql debug API - returns text value of variable content
Date: 2022-03-17 20:33:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

čt 17. 3. 2022 v 20:58 odesílatel Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> napsal:

> It looks like this is -- like a lot of plpgsql patches -- having
> difficulty catching the attention of reviewers and committers.
> Aleksander asked for a test and Pavel put quite a bit of work into
> adding a good test case. I actually like that there's a test because
> it shows the API can be used effectively.
>
> From my quick skim of this code it does indeed look like it's ready to
> commit. It's mostly pretty mechanical code to expose a couple fields
> so that a debugger can see them.
>
> Pavel, are you planning to add a debugger to contrib using this? The
> test example code looks like it would already be kind of useful even
> in this form.

I had a plan to use the new API in plpgsql_check
https://github.com/okbob/plpgsql_check for integrated tracer

There is the pldebugger https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/pldebugger and I
think this extension can use this API well too. You can see - the PL
debugger has about 6000 lines, and more, there are some extensions for EDB.
So, unfortunately, It doesn't looks like good candidate for contrib.
Writing new debugger from zero doesn't looks like effective work. I am open
any discussion about it. Maybe some form of more sophisticated tracer can
be invited, but I think so better is enhancing widely used pldebugger
extension.

Regards

Pavel