Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Jan Wieck <jan(at)wi3ck(dot)info>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement
Date: 2014-09-17 19:52:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 9/17/14 3:04 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > What is difference between content of variable or content of database?
> > You can test any prerequisite, but when this prerequisite is not solved,
> > than exception is very very hard without possible handling.
>
> If the assertion tests arbitrary Boolean expressions, then we can't stop
> the user from abusing them.

I am thinking so unhandled signal can be good defence. (and possibility to
disable assertions)

We design a database system, so we should to reflect it - plpgsql (or any
PL environment) are not classic language. There are lot of database
specific constructs.

> But it's another thing if we design specific syntax that encourages such
> abuse, as proposed earlier.

Other note - I am thinking so ANSI SQL Assertions and PL assertions are
independent features. Although they can have some common goals.