Re: proposal: EXPLAIN ANALYZE formatting

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: EXPLAIN ANALYZE formatting
Date: 2017-01-28 16:31:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Now EXPLAIN ANALYZE produce too wide rows for usage in presentations
>
> > What do you think about possibility to implement >>optional<< alternative
> > formatting.
> > Now:
> > node name (estimation) (actual)
> > Alternative:
> > node name (estimation)
> > (actual)
>
> Seems like that would make a difference in only a tiny minority of
> situations. In a deeply nested plan you'll have trouble no matter
> what, and it's not uncommon that the node name line isn't the widest
> thing anyway.

It is related to presentation where you have to use large type - and where
usually don't present complex nested plans, or you present only fragments.

A output of EXPLAIN is usually ok - EXPLAIN ANALYZE does a overflow

This feature is in nice to have category - probably interesting for
lectures or presenters only - can helps and doesn't need lot of work. So I
am ask for community opinion.

The result should not be exactly how I proposed - any form what is more
friendly for tiny monitor (projectors) is welcome

Regards

Pavel