Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Platon Pronko <platon7pronko(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output
Date: 2021-08-05 19:08:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

čt 5. 8. 2021 v 20:56 odesílatel Platon Pronko <platon7pronko(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> > it can be a fully new format - designed for simple copy from terminal.
> Some
> > like
> >
> > ====== record: 10 ======
> > ------------ proname ------------
> > left
> > ------------ prosrc ------------
> > $lalalal
> > ewqrwqerw
> > ewqrwqerqrewq
> > $
> > ===============
>
> > no, it was proposed for psql
>
> How is this better than "copy (...) to stdout"? E.g.:
>
> $ copy (select * from pg_class limit 1) to stdout;
> 2619 pg_statistic 11 12016 0 10 2 2619 0
> 18 402 18 2840 t f p r 31
> 0 f f f f f t n f0
> 478 1 {postgres=arwdDxt/postgres} \N \N
>
> You can still copy the necessary parts (using mouse selection) -
> seems that it achieves the the same goal.

I think copy format can be pretty unclean when the line will be longer with
multiline values or with a lot of values. When the length of the line will
be longer than the terminal width, then searching the wanted column can be
pretty difficult.

When you know, so any value is on separate line or lines, then selection is
just primitive, and there is good enough information to find wanted data
quickly.

For this case I am working with hypothetical longer records with possible
multiline fields - just something that does chaos on the terminal, and you
want to select some part of data by mouse from the terminal screen.

Regards

Pavel