Re: proposal: less strict input of regprocedure type

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: less strict input of regprocedure type
Date: 2018-12-02 03:52:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

so 1. 12. 2018 v 20:49 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> napsal:

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > input value of regrocedure type should be complete function signature.
> > postgres=# select 'uni'::regprocedure;
> > ERROR: expected a left parenthesis
> > LINE 1: select 'uni'::regprocedure;
> > ^
>
> Yup.
>
> > I think so it is not necessary, when function name is unique.
>
> This doesn't seem like a great idea to me. It will just encourage
> people to write brittle code that falls over as soon as the name
> isn't unique. Also, if you're willing to assume that it is,
> why not just use regproc?

regproc doesn't allow to specify complete signature when it is necessary.

postgres=# select 'uni(int)'::regproc;
ERROR: function "uni(int)" does not exist
LINE 1: select 'uni(int)'::regproc;
^

The motivation is same like last change of DROP FUNCTION. When the name is
unique, then you should not to write a signature.

Regards

Pavel