Re: Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort for describe commands, when size is printed

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort for describe commands, when size is printed
Date: 2017-03-11 12:06:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Peter Eisentraut <
> peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/24/17 16:32, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> > set EXTENDED_DESCRIBE_SORT size_desc
>> > \dt+
>> > \l+
>> > \di+
>> >
>> > Possible variants: schema_table, table_schema, size_desc, size_asc
>>
>> I can see this being useful, but I think it needs to be organized a
>> little better.
>>
>> Sort key and sort direction should be separate settings.
>>

> I agree.
>
> I'm not sure why we need to have separate settings to sort by schema
>> name and table name.
>

> I think sorting by schema name, object name makes sense for people, who
> have objects of same name in different schemas.

I am sending a updated version with separated sort direction in special
variable

There is a question. Has desc direction sense for columns like schema or
table name?

Using desc, asc for size is natural. But for tablename?

Regards

Pavel

> ------
> Alexander Korotkov
> Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com
> The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql-extended-describe-sort.patch text/x-patch 8.9 KB