Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Platon Pronko <platon7pronko(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output
Date: 2021-08-05 11:46:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

čt 5. 8. 2021 v 13:14 odesílatel Platon Pronko <platon7pronko(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> Hi!
>
> pspg looks nice :)
>
> > Your proposal breaks pspg
> >
> > https://github.com/okbob/pspg
>
> I tried the following (after the patch):
>
> ./psql template1 -c "select n, repeat('x', n) as long_column_name from
> unnest(array[42,210]) as n" | pspg
>
> And it seems that pspg handled the situation without any issue. Also I
> tried inserting newlines into the output, and pspg still performed without
> issue. Can you give an example of scenario which should break after
> changing the record header length?

I think so there can be two basic problems:

a) with line cursor

b) format detection - I try to detect the header line - and I expect this
line has the most length of all lines. I use a line with the same length as
the column's type info (data, border).

Did you test the wrapped format? It is working

\pset format wrapped
\x
select * from pg_class;

Regards