Re: Question: Select messages using binary format

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksei Ivanov <iv(dot)alekseii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question: Select messages using binary format
Date: 2020-03-07 08:51:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

so 7. 3. 2020 v 8:38 odesílatel Aleksei Ivanov <iv(dot)alekseii(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> Dear hackers,
>
> I know that it is possible to receive packets in binary format using
> declare binary cursor and than fetching the result.
>
> But is it possible just using ordinary select from simple query to specify
> that I want to receive the result in binary?

It depends on interface that you use. C API - libpq allow to specify type
of communication per query

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-exec.html

PQexecParams *resultFormat*

What I known, you cannot to do from SQL level.

Regards

Pavel