Re: [HACKERS] SQL/JSON in PostgreSQL

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Piotr Stefaniak <email(at)piotr-stefaniak(dot)me>, "obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com" <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] SQL/JSON in PostgreSQL
Date: 2018-01-02 10:47:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> [...]
>>> RETUNING
>>> clauses are transformed.
>>>
>> Okay, I can see that the patch is still in the same situation two
>> weeks after I looked at it first, so I am marking it as returned with
>> feedback. This needs to be broken down, and get documentation. At this
>> point getting a review out of this patch is not something I'd
>> recommend until it is put in a shape that makes it easier. Please also
>> help in reviewing other's patches, yours here is very large.
>>

> Attached new version of patches:
>
> 1. Added some comments for the jsonpath code and some documentation for
> jsonpath operators and opclasses. Sorry that complete documentation for
> jsonpath itself is still missing.
>
> 2. Added support for custom user-defined item methods and functions in
> jsonpath.
> This feature allows us to move our non-standard methods (map, reduce,
> fold, min,
> max) to the extension contrib/jsnopathx. Now user can implement all
> standard
> JavaScript array methods by himself.
>
> 3. Added variable jsonpath specifications in SQL/JSON functions.
>
> 4. Added subtransactions inside PG_TRY/PG_CATCH block that is used for ON
> ERROR
> clause support in JSON_EXISTS, JSON_VALUE, JSON_QUERY (see ExecEvalJson()
> in
> src/backend/executor/execExpeInterp.c).
>

> The last addition is the most questionable. By using standard ON ERROR
> сlause
> we can specify default value for expression when an error occurs during
> casting
> JSON data to the target SQL type. Cast expressions can contain arbitrary
> user
> functions, so they should be executed inside own subtransaction like it is
> done
> in plpgsql (see exec_stmt_block()). Subtransaction start obviously
> introduces
> significant performance overhead (except the case when ERROR ON ERROR is
> used and error handling is unnecessary):
>
> =# EXPLAIN (ANALYZE)
> SELECT JSON_VALUE(jsonb '1', '$' RETURNING int ERROR ON ERROR)
> FROM generate_series(1, 1000000);
> Execution time: 395.238 ms
>
> =# EXPLAIN (ANALYZE)
> SELECT JSON_VALUE(jsonb '1', '$' RETURNING int)
> FROM generate_series(1, 1000000);
> Execution time: 914.850 ms
>
> To partially eliminate this overhead, I'm trying to examine cast-expression
> volatility:
> * mutable -- subtransaction is started
> * stable -- subtransaction is not started, only new ResourceOwner is
> created
> * immutable -- ResourceOwner is not even created
> But don't know if it is correct to rely on volatility here. And also I
> doubt
> that we can start multiple subtransactions (for each SQL/JSON function
> evaluation) within a single SELECT statement.

I am looking on this patch set and it looks very well.

Personally I dislike any extensions against SQL/JSON in this patch. And
there is lot of extensions there. It doesn't mean so these extensions are
bad, but it should be passed as next step and there should be separate
discussion related to these extensions.

Please, can you reduce this patch to only SQL/JSON part?

Regards

Pavel