Re: proposal: possibility to read dumped table's name from file

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: possibility to read dumped table's name from file
Date: 2020-05-29 14:47:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pá 29. 5. 2020 v 16:28 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> napsal:

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > one my customer has to specify dumped tables name by name. After years
> and
> > increasing database size and table numbers he has problem with too short
> > command line. He need to read the list of tables from file (or from
> stdin).
>
> I guess the question is why. That seems like an enormously error-prone
> approach. Can't they switch to selecting schemas? Or excluding the
> hopefully-short list of tables they don't want?

It is not typical application. It is a analytic application when the schema
of database is based on dynamic specification of end user (end user can do
customization every time). So schema is very dynamic.

For example - typical server has about four thousand databases and every
database has some between 1K .. 10K tables.

Another specific are different versions of data in different tables. A user
can work with one set of data (one set of tables) and a application
prepares new set of data (new set of tables). Load can be slow, because
sometimes bigger tables are filled (about forty GB). pg_dump backups one
set of tables (little bit like snapshot of data). So it is strange OLAP
(but successfull) application.

Regards

Pavel