Re: nothing ever works

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gerard Matthews <gerardmatt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: nothing ever works
Date: 2017-06-22 11:57:08
Lists: pgsql-docs

> It's under this page on the docs https://www.postgresql.
> org/docs/9.1/static/ecpg-dynamic.html.
>
> It does not make it clear where this code can be executed. It's in the
> documentation under chapter 33.5. Dynamic SQL. If you search in google for
> postgres dynamic sql it's the first link. Here is link to google search.
> https://www.google.co.za/search?q=postgresql+dynamic+sql&rlz=1C1CHZL_
> enZA685ZA685&oq=postgresql+dynamic+&aqs=chrome.0.
> 0j69i57j0l4.8833j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Unfortunately we have not control of Google. I understand so every body can
be confused from this information. ecpg is old very specific feature of old
databases. Few people uses it today.

For you interesting page is
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-EXECUTING-DYN

but you need to use keyword "plpgsql" what is preferred language for stored
procedures in Postgres. I don't know why Google is thinking so ecpg is more
than plpgsql :(.

Regards

Pavel