Re: ToDo: show size of partitioned table

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, mathias(at)brossard(dot)org, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ToDo: show size of partitioned table
Date: 2018-11-22 14:47:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

čt 22. 11. 2018 v 15:29 odesílatel Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
napsal:

> On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 12:42:14PM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > Here my position is strong. \dP for me doesn't mean "tables or
> > indexes" - it means "partition tables with total relation size". I
> > don't see any sense to show tables and indexes in one report.
>
> Please let me disagree on that point. \dP, \dPt and \dPi are commands
> able to show information about respectively partitioned relations,
> partitioned tables and partitioned indexes, which is not something only
> related to the size of those partitions. Showing only the level of a
> relation in its hierarchy may be useful, but that's confusing for the
> user without knowing its direct parent or its top-most parent. For
> multiple levels, the direct parent without the number in the hierarchy
> seems enough to me. I may be of course wrong in designing those
> concepts.

There are open two points:

1. display hierarchy of partitioned structures.
2. what should be displayed by \dP command.

@1 I agree so this information can be interesting and useful. But I have a
problem with consistency of this report. When result is table, then I think
so we can introduce, and should to introduce some new special report for
command - maybe \dPh

that can show hiearchy of one partitioned table (the table name should be
required)

I think so can be much more readable to have special report like

\dPh parent_tab
parent_tab
-> direct partitions 24kB
-> child_30_40
-> direct partitions 16kB

This is some what i can read, and I see (very naturally) the hierarchy of
partitions and the relations between

I have not feel well when I see in one report numbers 40 and 16, I see much
more comfortable when I see 24 and 16, but for this I need a different
perspective

What do you think about it?