Re: plpgsql.warn_shadow

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
Cc: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>, "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: plpgsql.warn_shadow
Date: 2014-02-03 22:25:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dne 3.2.2014 21:48 "Marko Tiikkaja" <marko(at)joh(dot)to> napsal(a):

> On 2014-02-03 9:17 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>
>> I am not happy from "warnings_as_error"
>>
>> what about "stop_on_warning" instead?
>

> abort_compilation_on_warning? I think if we're not going to make it more
clear that warnings are only promoted to errors at CREATE FUNCTION time, we
can't do much better than warnings_as_errors.

>> second question: should be these errors catchable or uncatchable?
>>
>> When I work on large project, where I had to use some error handler of
>> "EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS" I found very strange and not useful so all syntax
>> errors was catched by this handler. Any debugging was terribly difficult
>> and I had to write plpgsql_lint as solution.
>

> Is this really an issue considering these errors can only happen when
someone runs CREATE FUNCTION?

Can you look, pls, what terminology is used in gcc, clang, perl or python.

I agree with idea, but proposed names I have not associated with something.

Regards

Pavel