Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, 曾文旌(义从) <wenjing(dot)zwj(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, 蔡松露(子嘉) <zijia(at)taobao(dot)com>, "Cai, Le" <le(dot)cai(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>, 萧少聪(铁庵) <shaocong(dot)xsc(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables
Date: 2020-02-05 19:18:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

st 5. 2. 2020 v 16:48 odesílatel Konstantin Knizhnik <
k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> napsal:

> On 05.02.2020 17:10, Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:28 AM Konstantin Knizhnik
> > <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> >> There is very important reason (from my point of view): allow other
> >> sessions to use created index and
> >> so provide compatible behavior with regular tables (and with Oracle).
> >> So we should be able to populate index with existed GTT data.
> >> And ambuild will do it.
> > I don't understand. A global temporary table, as I understand it, is a
> > table for which each session sees separate contents. So you would
> > never need to populate it with existing data.
> Session 1:
> create global temp table gtt(x integer);
> insert into gtt values (generate_series(1,100000));
>
> Session 2:
> insert into gtt values (generate_series(1,200000));
>
> Session1:
> create index on gtt(x);
> explain select * from gtt where x = 1;
>
> Session2:
> explain select * from gtt where x = 1;
> ??? Should we use index here?
>
> My answer is - yes.
> Just because:
> - Such behavior is compatible with regular tables. So it will not
> confuse users and doesn't require some complex explanations.
> - It is compatible with Oracle.
> - It is what DBA usually want when creating index.
> -
> There are several arguments against such behavior:
> - Concurrent building of index in multiple sessions can consume a lot of
> memory
> - Building index can increase query execution time (which can be not
> expected by clients)
>
> I have discussion about it with Pavel here in Pgcon Moscow but we can
> not convince each other.
> May be we should provide a choice to the user, by means of GUC or index
> creating parameter.

I prefer some creating index parameter for enforcing creating indexes to
living other session.

In this case I think so too much strongly the best design depends on
context so there cannot to exists one design (both proposed behaves has
sense and has contrary advantages and disadvantages). Unfortunately only
one behave can be default.

Regards

Pavel