Re: new unicode table border styles for psql

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new unicode table border styles for psql
Date: 2013-11-22 08:11:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

2013/11/21 Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>

> On 11/21/13, 2:09 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I wrote new styles for psql table borders.
> >
> > http://postgres.cz/wiki/Pretty_borders_in_psql
> >
> > This patch is simply and I am think so some styles can be interesting
> > for final presentation.
> >
> > Do you think so this feature is generally interesting and should be in
> core?
>
> Maybe make the border setting a string containing the various characters
> by index. Then everyone can create their own crazy borders.

I seriously though about it, but not sure if it is good way.

- So we still have to deliver some basic set of styles still.
- People prefer prefabricate solution with simply activation now - so
customization use only a few people
- buitin style requires about 110 bytes and it is safe and verified,
dynamic styling requires some parser, maybe some other checks

So for this use case I prefer very primitive (and simple) design as was
proposed.

Regards

Pavel