Re: [Proposal][WIP] Add option to log auto_explain output to separate logfile

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Timofey <tim-shlyap(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal][WIP] Add option to log auto_explain output to separate logfile
Date: 2021-12-22 14:37:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

st 22. 12. 2021 v 14:54 odesílatel Timofey <tim-shlyap(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
napsal:

> Hello, hackers!
>
> Now, all of auto_explain output is directed to postgres's log and it is
> not comfortably to extract on big highloaded systems.
> My proposal is add option to auto_explain to log data to separate
> logfile. In my patch I plan to (re)open file every time associated guc
> variable is changing, included extension boot. In case of error or
> unexpected situation file closes and output directed to common
> postgres's log.
> What do you think about this idea? Also i would be grateful about any
> ideas how conveniently and suitable rotate that new log

It is good idea, but I think so it needs to be implemented more generally.
There should be a) possibility to add some extra informations, that can
allows redirect in others tools like rsyslog, b) possibility to use more
logfiles than one - for more extensions, or for slow query log, for log
sensitive or audit data, ... General design solves the problem with log
rotation.

Regards

Pavel