Re: proposal - psql - use pager for \watch command

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal - psql - use pager for \watch command
Date: 2020-07-01 21:03:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

st 1. 7. 2020 v 22:41 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> napsal:

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > I propose new psql environment variable PSQL_WATCH_PAGER. When this
> > variable is not empty, then \watch command starts specified pager, and
> > redirect output to related pipe. When pipe is closed - by pager, then
> > \watch cycle is leaved.
>
> I dunno, this just seems really strange. With any normal pager,
> you'd get completely unusable behavior (per the comments that you
> didn't bother to change). Also, how would the pager know where
> the boundaries between successive query outputs are? If it does
> not know, seems like that's another decrement in usability.

This feature is designed for specialized pagers - now only pspg can work in
this mode. But pspg is part of RH, Fedora, Debian, and it is available on
almost Unix platforms.

https://github.com/okbob/pspg

the pspg knows the psql output format of \watch statement.

The usability of this combination - psql \watch and pspg is really good.

Regards

Pavel