Re: proposal - psql - use pager for \watch command

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal - psql - use pager for \watch command
Date: 2020-07-01 20:41:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I propose new psql environment variable PSQL_WATCH_PAGER. When this
> variable is not empty, then \watch command starts specified pager, and
> redirect output to related pipe. When pipe is closed - by pager, then
> \watch cycle is leaved.

I dunno, this just seems really strange. With any normal pager,
you'd get completely unusable behavior (per the comments that you
didn't bother to change). Also, how would the pager know where
the boundaries between successive query outputs are? If it does
not know, seems like that's another decrement in usability.