Re: \pset xheader_width page as default? (Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output)

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Platon Pronko <platon7pronko(at)gmail(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: \pset xheader_width page as default? (Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output)
Date: 2022-08-30 14:55:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

út 30. 8. 2022 v 16:49 odesílatel Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> út 30. 8. 2022 v 16:36 odesílatel Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> napsal:
>
>> Re: Pavel Stehule
>> > pspg requires all lines to have the same width. It can do some
>> corrections
>> > - but it is hard to detect wanted differences or just plain text format.
>> >
>> > can be nice to have the first invisible row with some information about
>> > used formatting. pspg does some heuristic but this code is not nice and
>> it
>> > is fragile.
>>
>> I like pspg and use it myself, but I don't think a tool that does the
>> right thing by hiding a full screen of ---- from the user should
>> hinder making the same progress in psql with a simple pager.
>>

> ASCII allows to set some metadata, that should be invisible in all
> correctly implemented pagers.

or these parameters can be sent by pager's command line or via some
environment variable. Currently there are only two pagers on the world that
support tabular format, and both are created against psql (pspg and ov), so
we can define our own protocol. Surely - pspg will have heuristic forever,
because I want to support psql, mysql and many others. But it can be fine
to switch to some more robust mode. It can be interesting for continuous
load via pipe.

Regards

Pavel