Re: (select query)/relation as first class citizen

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Roman Pekar <roma(dot)pekar(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: (select query)/relation as first class citizen
Date: 2019-07-08 09:19:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

po 8. 7. 2019 v 9:33 odesílatel Roman Pekar <roma(dot)pekar(at)gmail(dot)com> napsal:

> Hi,
>
> what do you think about this idea in general? If you don't have to think
> about implementation for now? From my point of view writing Sql queries is
> very close to how functional language work if you treat "select" queries as
> functions without side-effects, and having query being first-class-citizen
> could move this even further.

first - please, don't send top posts.

second - my opinion is not clear. I can imagine benefits - on second hand,
the usage is relative too close to one antipattern - only one query wrapped
by functions. I see your proposal as little bit more dynamic (with little
bit different syntax) views.

With my experience I really afraid about it - it can be very effective
(from developer perspective) and very slow (from customer perspective).
This is example of tool that looks nice on paper, but can be very badly
used.

Maybe I am not the best man for this topic - I like some functional
programming concepts, but I use it locally - your proposal moves SQL to
some unexplored areas - and I think so it can be interesting as real
research topic, but not today Postgres's theme.

The basic question is why extend SQL and don't use some native functional
language. Postgres should to implement ANSI SQL - and there is not a space
for big experiments. I am sceptic about it - relational databases are
static, SQL is static language, so it is hard to implement some dynamic
system over it - SQL language is language over relation algebra - it is not
functional language, I afraid so introduction another concept to this do
more bad than good.

Regards

Pavel