Re: zheap: a new storage format for PostgreSQL

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: zheap: a new storage format for PostgreSQL
Date: 2018-12-06 15:52:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

čt 6. 12. 2018 v 16:26 odesílatel Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:23 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > I have a problem to imagine it. When fill factor will be low, then there
> is high risk of high fragmentation - or there some body should to do
> defragmentation.
>
> I don't understand this.

I don't know if zheap has or has not any tools for elimination
fragmentation of space of page. But I expect so after some set of updates,
when record size is mutable, the free space on page should be fragmented.
Usually, when you have less memory, then fragmentation is faster.

Pavel