Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt
Date: 2023-02-03 20:43:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pá 3. 2. 2023 v 21:21 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> napsal:

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Both patches are very simple - and they use almost already prepared
> > infrastructure.
>
> It's not simple at all to make the psql feature depend on marking
> "role" as GUC_REPORT when it never has been before. That will
> cause the feature to misbehave when using older servers. I'm
> even less impressed by having it fall back on PQuser(), which
> would be misleading at exactly the times when it matters.

It is a good note. This can be disabled for older servers, and maybe it
can introduce its own GUC (and again - it can be disallowed for older
servers).

My goal at this moment is to get some prototype. We can talk if this
feature request is valid or not, and we can talk about implementation.

There is another possibility to directly execute "select current_user()"
instead of looking at status parameters inside prompt processing. It can
work too.

Regards

Pavel