Re: [Fwd: Re: proposal: new long psql parameter --on-error-stop]

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: proposal: new long psql parameter --on-error-stop]
Date: 2014-08-28 12:34:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:48 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > comments?
>
> + fprintf(output, _(" ECHO control what input is
> written to standard output [all, queries]\n"));
>
> The valid values in the help messages should be consistent with
> the values that the tab-completion displays. So in the case of ECHO,
> "errors" and "none" also should be added in the message. Thought?
>
> In the help messages of some psql variables like ECHO_HIDDEN, valid
> values are not explained. Why not?

it is based on http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-psql.html

ECHO_HIDDEN

When this variable is set and a backslash command queries the database, the
query is first shown. This way you can study the PostgreSQL internals and
provide similar functionality in your own programs. (To select this
behavior on program start-up, use the switch -E.) If you set the variable
to the value noexec, the queries are just shown but are not actually sent
to the server and executed.
There are no clear a set of valid values :( .. When I found a known fields
in doc, I used it.

Regards

Pavel