Re: Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort for describe commands, when size is printed

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort for describe commands, when size is printed
Date: 2017-03-10 15:01:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> * Peter Eisentraut (peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> > On 2/24/17 16:32, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > > set EXTENDED_DESCRIBE_SORT size_desc
> > > \dt+
> > > \l+
> > > \di+
> > >
> > > Possible variants: schema_table, table_schema, size_desc, size_asc
> >
> > I can see this being useful, but I think it needs to be organized a
> > little better.
> >
> > Sort key and sort direction should be separate settings.
> >
> > I'm not sure why we need to have separate settings to sort by schema
> > name and table name. But if we do, then we should support that for all
> > object types. I think maybe that's something we shouldn't get into
> > right now.
> >
> > So I would have one setting for sort key = {name|size} and on for sort
> > direction = {asc|desc}.
>
> Perhaps I'm trying to be overly cute here, but why not let the user
> simply provide a bit of SQL to be put at the end of the query?
>
> That is, something like:
>
> \pset EXTENDED_DESCRIBE_ORDER_LIMIT 'ORDER BY 5 DESC LIMIT 10'

For example - the size is displayed in pretty form - raw form is not
displayed - so simple ORDER BY clause is not possible.

But setting LIMIT is not bad idea - although it is probably much more
complex for implementation.

\pset DESCRIBE_LIMIT 100
\pset EXTENDED_DESCRIBE_LIMIT 100

can be implemented as next step