Re: merging some features from plpgsql2 project

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>
Subject: Re: merging some features from plpgsql2 project
Date: 2017-01-10 05:06:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>:

> On 1/7/17 6:39 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > ROW_COUNT .. shortcut for GET DIAGNOSTICS row_count = ROW_COUNT.
>
> I don't see the point.

A check how much rows was impacted by query is relative often task. So we
can do this task more user friendly.

Second motivation - ROW_COUNT is working for static and for dynamic SQL -
it can be partial replace of FOUND variable.

But now, when I am thinking about it - it can be strange for some users
too. Pretty often we use implicit LIMIT for query execution. So ROW_COUNT
can be probably different than users expecting.

Regards

Pavel