Re: Move defaults toward ICU in 16?

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Move defaults toward ICU in 16?
Date: 2023-02-18 04:52:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pá 17. 2. 2023 v 21:43 odesílatel Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> napsal:

> On Fri, 2023-02-17 at 18:27 +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > Today I tested icu for Czech sorting. It is a little bit slower, but
> > not too much, but it produces partially different results.
>
> Thank you for trying it.
>
> If it's a significant slowdown, can you please send more information?
> ICU version, libc version, and testcase?

no - this slowdown is not significant - although 1% can looks too much -
but it is just two ms

It looks so libicu has little bit more expensive initialization, but the
execution is little bit faster

But when I try to repeat the measurements, the results are very unstable on
my desktop :-/

SELECT * FROM obce ORDER BY nazev LIMIT 10 // is faster with glibc little
bit
SELECT * FROM obce ORDER BY nazev // is faster with libicu

You can download dataset https://pgsql.cz/files/obce.sql

It is table of municipalities in czech republic (real names) - about 6000
rows

I use fedora 37 - so libicu 71.1, glibc 2.36

Regards

Pavel