Re: psql: new help related to variables are not too readable

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: new help related to variables are not too readable
Date: 2017-09-13 14:18:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
> >> I'll assign this patch to next commitfest
>
> > Probably it needs some rebase after Tom committed result status
> variables.
>
> > As it is a style thing, ISTM that the patch is ready if most people agree
> > that it is better this way and there is no strong veto against.
>
> FWIW, I think it's a bad idea. We already nearly-doubled the vertical
> space required for this variable list. That was a heavy cost --- and we
> already got at least one complaint about it --- but it seemed warranted
> to avoid having to deal with very constrained variable descriptions.
> This proposes to make the vertical space nearly triple what it was in v10.
> In a typical-size window that's going to have a pretty severe impact on
> how much of the list you can see at once. And the readability gain is
> (at least to my eyes) very marginal.

unfortunately - readability is subjective. Now it is really hard to read to
me. I understand so text is long enough already, and with lot of empty
lines, it will be longer.

because we cannot to use colors or some effects (bold, ..) I am not
feeling to well when I read it.

I proposed it because readability of current design is not too good - but
it is not major topic for me - so should not to push this topic too much.
Somebody can read it better, some not - it is subjective.

Regards

Pavel