Re: Problem with accessing TOAST data in stored procedures

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with accessing TOAST data in stored procedures
Date: 2020-08-19 18:50:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

st 19. 8. 2020 v 19:22 odesílatel Konstantin Knizhnik <
k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> napsal:

> Hi hackers,
>
> More than month ago I have sent bug report to pgsql-bugs:
>

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/5d335911-fb25-60cd-4aa7-a5bd0954aea0%40postgrespro.ru
>
> with the proposed patch but have not received any response.
>
> I wonder if there is some other way to fix this issue and does somebody
> working on it.
> While the added check itself is trivial (just one line) the total patch
> is not so small because I have added walker for
> plpgsql statements tree. It is not strictly needed in this case (it is
> possible to find some other way to determine that stored procedure
> contains transaction control statements), but I hope such walker may be
> useful in other cases.
>
> In any case, I will be glad to receive any response,
> because this problem was reported by one of our customers and we need to
> provide some fix.
> It is better to include it in vanilla, rather than in our pgpro-ee fork.
>
> If it is desirable, I can add this patch to commitfest.

I don't like this design. It is not effective to repeat the walker for
every execution. Introducing a walker just for this case looks like
overengineering.
Personally I am not sure if a walker for plpgsql is a good idea (I thought
about it more times, when I wrote plpgsql_check). But anyway - there should
be good reason for introducing the walker and clean use case.

If you want to introduce stmt walker, then it should be a separate patch
with some benefit on plpgsql environment length.

Regards

Pavel

> Thanks in advance,
> Konstantin