Re: set_config() documentation clarification

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: set_config() documentation clarification
Date: 2021-01-05 17:59:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

út 5. 1. 2021 v 18:51 odesílatel Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> napsal:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 09:46:32AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 8:26 AM Joel Jacobson <joel(at)compiler(dot)org> wrote:
> >
> > In the documentation at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/
> > functions-admin.html
> > this behaviour is not mentioned anywhere as far as I can see:
> >

> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-custom.html
> >
> > I do think "Customized Options" is an accurate description. One needs to
> > consider their usage of such variables as "modular" even though there is
> no
> > library code involved. i.e., the description is possibly overly
> specific but
> > the variables created in this manner are simply namespaced but otherwise
> usable
> > in any manner you deem fit.
>
> I think I tried to make this feature more visible a few years ago and
> some people said we might remove it someday, so don't do that. If that
> is false, I think we can make it more prominent.

This feature is frequently used as a workaround for missing global package
variables. And a lot of scripts use this feature as only one possibility to
push parameters to the DO statement.

Unfortunately - there is not any guard against typo errors, are untyped,
and access is slow - it is designed for different purposes.

Schema variables are designed specially for described purposes
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/31/1608/.

Regards

Pavel