Re: Tackling JsonPath support

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Christian Convey <christian(dot)convey(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tackling JsonPath support
Date: 2016-09-16 06:28:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
> > I wrote XMLTABLE function, and I am thinking about JSON_TABLE function.
> But
> > there is one blocker - missing JsonPath support in our JSON
> implementation.
> >
> > So one idea - implement JsonPath support and related JSON query
> functions.
> > This can help with better standard conformance.
>
> Hi Pavel,
>
> Are you still looking for someone to add the JsonPath support to the
> JSON implementation? And if so, how urgently are people waiting for
> it?

yes - JsonPath support should be great. I hope so this or next commitfest
the XMLTABLE patch will be committed, and with JsonPath I can start to work
on JSON_TABLE function.

But the JsonPath can be merged separately without dependency to JSON_TABLE.
There are more JSON searching functions, and these functions should to
support JsonPath be ANSI SQL compliant.

> I'd be happy to start working on a patch, but since I'm new to PG
> development, I'm probably not the fastest person to get it done.

It is not problem. Probably you should to do this work without deep
knowledges about PostgreSQL internals. The work with data types (and
functions for data types) is well isolated from PostgreSQL engine.

You can learn from current searching on JSON -
postgresql/src/backend/utils/adt/json.c

And it is good start to be PostgreSQL's hacker - I started with
implementation of own data type and related functions.

Regards

Pavel