Re: Avoid streaming the transaction which are skipped (in corner cases)

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Avoid streaming the transaction which are skipped (in corner cases)
Date: 2022-11-27 05:33:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 12:15 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 5:38 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 1:35 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > >
> > > During DecodeCommit() for skipping a transaction we use ReadRecPtr to
> > > check whether to skip this transaction or not. Whereas in
> > > ReorderBufferCanStartStreaming() we use EndRecPtr to check whether to
> > > stream or not. Generally it will not create a problem but if the
> > > commit record itself is adding some changes to the transaction(e.g.
> > > snapshot) and if the "start_decoding_at" is in between ReadRecPtr and
> > > EndRecPtr then streaming will decide to stream the transaction where
> > > as DecodeCommit will decide to skip it. And for handling this case in
> > > ReorderBufferForget() we call stream_abort().
> > >

> > The other cases are probably where we don't have FilterByOrigin or
> > dbid check, for example, XLOG_HEAP2_NEW_CID/XLOG_XACT_INVALIDATIONS.
> > We anyway actually don't send anything for such cases except empty
> > start/stop messages. Can we add some flag to txn which says that there
> > is at least one change like DML that we want to stream?
> >

> We can probably think of using txn_flags for this purpose.

In the attached patch I have used txn_flags to identify whether it has
any streamable change or not and the transaction will not be selected
for streaming unless it has at least one streamable change.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Fix-thinko-in-when-to-stream-a-transaction.patch text/x-patch 5.4 KB