Re: UPDATE of partition key

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UPDATE of partition key
Date: 2017-09-11 15:42:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On 6 September 2017 at 21:47, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Actually, since transition tables came in, the functions like
> ExecARUpdateTriggers() or ExecARInsertTriggers() have this additional
> purpose of capturing transition table rows, so that the images of the
> tables are visible when statement triggers are fired that refer to
> these transition tables. So in the above code, these functions only
> capture rows, they do not add any event for firing any ROW triggers.
> AfterTriggerSaveEvent() returns without adding any event if it's
> called only for transition capture. So even if UPDATE row triggers are
> defined, they won't get fired in case of row movement, although the
> updated rows would be captured if transition tables are referenced in
> these triggers or in the statement triggers.

Ok then I have one more question,

With transition table, we can only support statement level trigger and
for update
statement, we are only going to execute UPDATE statement level
trigger? so is there
any point of making transition table entry for DELETE/INSERT trigger
as those transition
table will never be used. Or I am missing something?

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar