Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Date: 2019-10-04 10:05:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 11:01 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 10:28 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

Some more comments..
1.
+ for (idx = 0; idx < nindexes; idx++)
+ {
+ if (!for_cleanup)
+ lazy_vacuum_index(Irel[idx], &stats[idx], vacrelstats->dead_tuples,
+ vacrelstats->old_live_tuples);
+ else
+ {
+ /* Cleanup one index and update index statistics */
+ lazy_cleanup_index(Irel[idx], &stats[idx], vacrelstats->new_rel_tuples,
+ vacrelstats->tupcount_pages < vacrelstats->rel_pages);
+
+ lazy_update_index_statistics(Irel[idx], stats[idx]);
+
+ if (stats[idx])
+ pfree(stats[idx]);
+ }

I think instead of checking for_cleanup variable for every index of
the loop we better move loop inside, like shown below?

if (!for_cleanup)
for (idx = 0; idx < nindexes; idx++)
lazy_vacuum_index(Irel[idx], &stats[idx], vacrelstats->dead_tuples,
else
for (idx = 0; idx < nindexes; idx++)
{
lazy_cleanup_index
lazy_update_index_statistics
}

2.
+static void
+lazy_vacuum_or_cleanup_indexes(LVRelStats *vacrelstats, Relation *Irel,
+ int nindexes, IndexBulkDeleteResult **stats,
+ LVParallelState *lps, bool for_cleanup)
+{
+ int idx;
+
+ Assert(!IsParallelWorker());
+
+ /* no job if the table has no index */
+ if (nindexes <= 0)
+ return;

Wouldn't it be good idea to call this function only if nindexes > 0?

3.
+/*
+ * Vacuum or cleanup indexes with parallel workers. This function must be used
+ * by the parallel vacuum leader process.
+ */
+static void
+lazy_parallel_vacuum_or_cleanup_indexes(LVRelStats *vacrelstats,
Relation *Irel,
+ int nindexes, IndexBulkDeleteResult **stats,
+ LVParallelState *lps, bool for_cleanup)

If you see this function there is no much common code between
for_cleanup and without for_cleanup except these 3-4 statement.
LaunchParallelWorkers(lps->pcxt);
/* Create the log message to report */
initStringInfo(&buf);
/* Wait for all vacuum workers to finish */
WaitForParallelWorkersToFinish(lps->pcxt);

Other than that you have got a lot of checks like this
+ if (!for_cleanup)
+ {
+ }
+ else
+ {
}

I think code would be much redable if we have 2 functions one for
vaccum (lazy_parallel_vacuum_indexes) and another for
cleanup(lazy_parallel_cleanup_indexes).

4.
* of index scans performed. So we don't use maintenance_work_mem memory for
* the TID array, just enough to hold as many heap tuples as fit on one page.
*
+ * Lazy vacuum supports parallel execution with parallel worker processes. In
+ * parallel lazy vacuum, we perform both index vacuuming and index cleanup with
+ * parallel worker processes. Individual indexes are processed by one vacuum

Spacing after the "." is not uniform, previous comment is using 2
space and newly
added is using 1 space.

--
Regards,