Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics
Date: 2016-03-19 12:22:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 3:09 AM, Alexander Korotkov <
a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> I've drawn graphs for these measurements. The variation doesn't look
> random here. TPS is going higher from measurement to measurement. I bet
> you did measurements sequentially.
> I think we should do more measurements until TPS stop growing and beyond
> to see accumulate average statistics. Could you please do the same tests
> but 50 runs.

I have taken reading at different client count (1,2 and 4)

1. Avg: Is taken average after discarding lowest 5 and highest 5 readings.
2. With 4 client I have only 30 reading.

I think if we check avg or median atleast at 1 or 2 client head always
looks winner, but same is not the case with 4 clients. And with 4 clients I
can see much more fluctuation in the reading.

Head(1 Client) Patch (1 Client)
Head (2 Client) Patch (2 Client)
Head (4 Client) Patch (4 Client)
Avg: 19628 19578
37180 36536
70044 70731
Median: 19663 19581
37967 37484
73003 75376
Below is all the reading. (Arranged in sorted order)

*Runs* *Head (1 Client)* *Patch (1 Client)*
*Head (2 Client)* *Patch (2 Client)*
*Head (4 Client)* *Patch (4 Client)*
29454 26128
49931 47210