Re: Moving forward with TDE

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Christensen <david(dot)christensen(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Moving forward with TDE
Date: 2022-11-04 08:42:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 3:36 AM David Christensen
<david(dot)christensen(at)crunchydata(dot)com> wrote:

> > Unless somebody in the community remembers open questions/issues with
> > TDE that were never addressed I suggest simply iterating with our
> > usual testing/reviewing process. For now I'm going to change the
> > status of the CF entry [1] to "Waiting for Author" since the patchset
> > doesn't pass the CI [2].
>
> Thanks, enclosed is a new version that is rebased on HEAD and fixes a
> bug that the new pg_control_init() test picked up.

I was looking into the documentation patches 0001 and 0002, I think
the explanation is very clear. I have a few questions/comments

+By not using the database id in the IV, CREATE DATABASE can copy the
+heap/index files from the old database to a new one without
+decryption/encryption. Both page copies are valid. Once a database
+changes its pages, it gets new LSNs, and hence new IV.

How about the WAL_LOG method for creating a database? because in that
we get the new LSN for the pages in the new database, so do we
reencrypt, if yes then this documentation needs to be updated
otherwise we might need to add that code.

+changes its pages, it gets new LSNs, and hence new IV. Using only the
+LSN and page number also avoids requiring pg_upgrade to preserve
+database oids, tablespace oids, and relfilenodes.

I think this line needs to be changed, because now we are already
preserving dbid/tbsid/relfilenode. So even though we are not using
those in IV there is no point in saying we are avoiding that
requirement.

I will review the remaining patches soon.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar