Side effect of CVE-2017-7484 fix?

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Side effect of CVE-2017-7484 fix?
Date: 2018-10-22 05:40:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

As part of the security fix
(e2d4ef8de869c57e3bf270a30c12d48c2ce4e00c), we have restricted the
users from accessing the statistics of the table if the user doesn't
have privileges on the table and the function is not leakproof. Now,
as a side effect of this, if the user has the privileges on the root
partitioned table but does not have privilege on the child tables, the
user will be able to access the data of the child table but it won't
be able to access the statistics of the child table. This may result
in a bad plan. I am not sure what should be the fix. Should we
allow to access the statistics of the table if a user has privilege on
its parent table?

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar