Re: [HACKERS] make async slave to wait for lsn to be replayed

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kartyshov Ivan <i(dot)kartyshov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] make async slave to wait for lsn to be replayed
Date: 2024-01-22 05:49:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 1:46 PM Kartyshov Ivan
<i(dot)kartyshov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> Add some fixes and rebase.

While quickly looking into the patch, I understood the idea of what we
are trying to achieve here and I feel that a useful feature. But
while looking at both the patches I could not quickly differentiate
between these two approaches. I believe, internally at the core both
are implementing similar wait logic but providing different syntaxes.
So if we want to keep both these approaches open for the sake of
discussion then better first to create a patch that implements the
core approach i.e. the waiting logic and the other common part and
then add top-up patches with 2 different approaches that would be easy
for review. I also see in v4 that there is no documentation for the
syntax part so it makes it even harder to understand.

I think this thread is implementing a useful feature so my suggestion
is to add some documentation in v4 and also make it more readable
w.r.t. What are the clear differences between these two approaches,
maybe adding commit message will also help.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar