Re: UPDATE of partition key

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UPDATE of partition key
Date: 2017-09-12 06:27:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> But the statement level trigger function can refer to OLD TABLE and
> NEW TABLE, which will contain all the OLD rows and NEW rows
> respectively. So the updated rows of the partitions (including the
> moved ones) need to be captured. So for OLD TABLE, we need to capture
> the deleted row, and for NEW TABLE, we need to capture the inserted
> row.

Yes, I agree. So in ExecDelete for OLD TABLE we only need to call
ExecARUpdateTriggers which will make the entry in OLD TABLE only if
transition table is there otherwise nothing and I guess this part
already exists in your patch. And, we are also calling
ExecARDeleteTriggers and I guess that is to fire the ROW-LEVEL delete
trigger and that is also fine. What I don't understand is that if
there is no "ROW- LEVEL delete trigger" and there is only a "statement
level delete trigger" with transition table still we are making the
entry in transition table of the delete trigger and that will never be
used.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar