Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mahendra Singh <mahi6run(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Date: 2019-10-18 06:48:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 11:25 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 8:45 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Remember that the other running workers will also increase
> > > VacuumCostBalance and whichever worker finds that it becomes greater
> > > than VacuumCostLimit will reset its value and sleep. So, won't this
> > > make sure that overall throttling works the same?

> > > Sure, but will it impact the overall I/O? I mean to say the rate
> > > limit we want to provide for overall vacuum operation will still be
> > > the same. Also, isn't a similar thing happens now also where heap
> > > might have done a major portion of I/O but soon after we start
> > > vacuuming the index, we will hit the limit and will sleep.
> >
> > Actually, What I meant is that the worker who performing actual I/O
> > might not go for the delay and another worker which has done only CPU
> > operation might pay the penalty? So basically the worker who is doing
> > CPU intensive operation might go for the delay and pay the penalty and
> > the worker who is performing actual I/O continues to work and do
> > further I/O. Do you think this is not a practical problem?
> >

> I don't know. Generally, we try to delay (if required) before
> processing (read/write) one page which means it will happen for I/O
> intensive operations, so I am not sure if the point you are making is
> completely correct.

Ok, I agree with the point that we are checking it only when we are
doing the I/O operation. But, we also need to consider that each I/O
operations have a different weightage. So even if we have a delay
point at I/O operation there is a possibility that we might delay the
worker which is just performing read buffer with page
hit(VacuumCostPageHit). But, the other worker who is actually
dirtying the page(VacuumCostPageDirty = 20) continue the work and do
more I/O.

> > Stepping back a bit, OTOH, I think that we can not guarantee that the
> > one worker who has done more I/O will continue to do further I/O and
> > the one which has not done much I/O will not perform more I/O in
> > future. So it might not be too bad if we compute shared costs as you
> > suggested above.
> >

> I am thinking if we can write the patch for both the approaches (a.
> compute shared costs and try to delay based on that, b. try to divide
> the I/O cost among workers as described in the email above[1]) and do
> some tests to see the behavior of throttling, that might help us in
> deciding what is the best strategy to solve this problem, if any.
> What do you think?

I agree with this idea. I can come up with a POC patch for approach
(b). Meanwhile, if someone is interested to quickly hack with the
approach (a) then we can do some testing and compare. Sawada-san,
by any chance will you be interested to write POC with approach (a)?
Otherwise, I will try to write it after finishing the first one
(approach b).

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar