Re: Stabilizing the test_decoding checks, take N

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Stabilizing the test_decoding checks, take N
Date: 2022-04-19 06:08:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 3:29 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> This needs to be verified once by doing some manual testing as it may
> not be easily reproducible every time. If this happens to be true then
> I think your suggestion related to increasing autovacuum_naptime would
> work.
>

> I will try to reproduce this, maybe by reducing the autovacuum_naptime or parallelly running some script that continuously performs DDL-only transactions.

I have reproduced it [1] by repeatedly running the attached
script(stream.sql) from one session and parallely running the vacuum
analysis from the another session.

I have also changed the config for testing decoding to set the
autovacuum_naptime to 1d (patch attached)

[1]
Result without vacuum analyze:
data
opening a streamed block for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
closing a streamed block for transaction
committing streamed transaction
(13 rows)

Result with parallely running VACUUM ANALYZE

data
opening a streamed block for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
streaming change for transaction
closing a streamed block for transaction
opening a streamed block for transaction
streaming change for transaction
closing a streamed block for transaction
committing streamed transaction
(15 rows)

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar

Attachment Content-Type Size
stream.sql application/sql 979 bytes
0001-Increase-autovacuum_naptime-for-test-decoding-testin.patch text/x-patch 869 bytes