Re: pg_rewind WAL segments deletion pitfall

From: Alexander Kukushkin <cyberdemn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, bungina(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_rewind WAL segments deletion pitfall
Date: 2023-08-23 11:44:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 at 07:32, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> I don't like much this patch. While it takes correctly advantage of
> the backward record read logic from SimpleXLogPageRead() able to
> handle correctly timeline jumps, it creates a hidden dependency in the
> code between the hash table from filemap.c and the page callback.
> Wouldn't it be simpler to build a list of the segment names using the
> information from WALOpenSegment and build this list in
> findLastCheckpoint()?

I think the first version of the patch more or less did that. Not
necessarily a list, but a hash table of WAL file names that we want to
keep. But Kyotaro Horiguchi didn't like it and suggested creating entries
in the filemap.c hash table instead.
But, I agree, doing it directly from the findLastCheckpoint() makes the
code easier to understand.

> Also, I am wondering if we should be smarter
> with any potential conflict handling between the source and the
> target, rather than just enforcing a FILE_ACTION_NONE for all these
> files. In short, could it be better to copy the WAL file from the
> source if it exists there?

Before the switchpoint these files are supposed to be the same on the old
primary, new primary, and also in the archive. Also, if there is a
restore_command postgres will fetch the same file from the archive even if
it already exists in pg_wal, which effectively discards all pg_rewind
efforts on copying WAL files.

> + /*
> + * Some entries (WAL segments) already have an action assigned
> + * (see SimpleXLogPageRead()).
> + */
> + if (entry->action == FILE_ACTION_UNDECIDED)
> + entry->action = decide_file_action(entry);
>
> This change makes me a bit uneasy, per se my previous comment with the
> additional code dependencies.

We can revert to the original approach (see
v1-0001-pg_rewind-wal-deletion.patch from the very first email) if you like.

> I think that this scenario deserves a test case. If one wants to
> emulate a delay in WAL archiving, it is possible to set
> archive_command to a command that we know will fail, for instance.

Yes, I totally agree, it is on our radar, but meanwhile please see the new
version, just to check if I correctly understood your idea.

Regards,
--
Alexander Kukushkin

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-pg_rewind-wal-deletion.patch text/x-patch 4.3 KB