Re: pg_rewind: Skip log directory for file type check like pg_wal

From: Alexander Kukushkin <cyberdemn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Soumyadeep Chakraborty <soumyadeep2007(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_rewind: Skip log directory for file type check like pg_wal
Date: 2023-03-07 08:03:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 7 Mar 2023 at 08:52, Soumyadeep Chakraborty <
soumyadeep2007(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > It couldn't be achieved just by introducing a static string "log". The
> "log_directory" GUC must be examined on both, source and target.
>
> Trouble with doing that is if pg_rewind is run in non-libpq (offline)
> mode. Then we would have to parse it out of the conf file(s)?
> Is there a standard way of doing that?

pg_rewind is already doing something similar for "restore_command":
/*
* Get value of GUC parameter restore_command from the target cluster.
*
* This uses a logic based on "postgres -C" to get the value from the
* cluster.
*/
static void
getRestoreCommand(const char *argv0)

For the running source cluster one could just use "SHOW log_directory"

Regards,
--
Alexander Kukushkin