Do BRIN indexes support MIN/MAX?

From: Andrey Klochkov <diggerk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Do BRIN indexes support MIN/MAX?
Date: 2023-03-29 17:18:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
We've started experimenting with using BRIN indexes for some of our large
tables, as a replacement for B-Tree on "natural" timestamp columns that
seem to be a good case for BRIN. Is it correct that BRIN indexes don't
support MIN/MAX operations ?

We see that a query like `SELECT max(timestamp_column) FROM table` does a
sequential scan on the table instead of using the index.

We're on Postgres 10.23 at the moment if that's important.

--
Andrey Klochkov