Re: Hooks for session start and end, take two

From: Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, legrand legrand <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hooks for session start and end, take two
Date: 2019-10-03 14:19:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 1:35 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> [...]
>
> In this state I think this patch should be flat out rejected.

Ok.

> I'm seriously baffled at how this stuff is being pursued aggressively,
> quite apparently without any serious design considerations. I mean this
> stuff had to be backed out twice, yet it's being reproposed without much
> consideration for concerns?

And what if (again) for the first version of session start hook we do it
just for:
- client backends
- background workers

For sure we'll need new design, but for now I'm can't imagine a use case
for sessions different than listed above.

Regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/