Re: Column COMMENTs in CREATE TABLE?

From: Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Column COMMENTs in CREATE TABLE?
Date: 2016-07-03 00:31:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em sábado, 2 de julho de 2016, David G. Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
escreveu:

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','marko(at)joh(dot)to');>> wrote:
>

>> What I would prefer is something like this:
>>
>> CREATE TABLE foo(
>> f1 int NOT NULL COMMENT
>> 'the first field',
>> f2 int NOT NULL COMMENT
>> 'the second field',
>> );
>>
>> which would ensure the comments are both next to the field definition
>> they're documenting and that they make it all the way to the database. I
>> looked into the biggest products, and MySQL supports this syntax. I
>> couldn't find any similar syntax in any other product.
>>

> ​+1 for the idea - though restricting it to columns would not be ideal.
>

> CREATE TABLE name
> COMMENT IS
> 'Table Comment Here'
> (
> col1 serial COMMENT IS 'Place comment here'
> )​;

And what about the other CREATE statements? IMHO if we follow this path
then we should add COMMENT to all CREATE statements and perhaps also to
ALTER. Of course in a set of small patches to make the reviewers life
easier.

Regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello