Re: Add important info about ANALYZE after create Functional Index

From: Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add important info about ANALYZE after create Functional Index
Date: 2020-10-31 22:56:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 3:22 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> And in spirit, it is possible to address this issue with the patch
> attached which copies the set of stats from the old to the new index.

Did some tests and everything went ok... some comments below!

> For a non-concurrent REINDEX, this does not happen because we keep the
> same base relation, while we replace completely the relation with a
> concurrent operation.

Exactly!

> We have a RemoveStatistics() in heap.c, but I
> did not really see the point to invent a copy flavor for this
> particular case. Perhaps others have an opinion on that?

Even if we won't use it now, IMHO it is more legible to separate this
responsibility into its own CopyStatistics function as attached.

Regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
PostgreSQL Developer at OnGres Inc. - https://ongres.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
reindex-stats-v2.patch text/x-patch 6.0 KB