Re: Removing unneeded self joins

From: Hywel Carver <hywel(at)skillerwhale(dot)com>
To: Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Konstantin Knizhnik <knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Removing unneeded self joins
Date: 2021-07-01 22:56:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 12:21 PM Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
wrote:

> On 12/3/21 12:05, Hywel Carver wrote:
> > I've built and tested this, and it seems to function correctly to me.
> One question I have is whether the added "IS NOT NULL" filters can be
> omitted when they're unnecessary. Some of the resulting plans included an
> "IS NOT NULL" filter on a non-nullable column. To be clear, this is still
> an improvement (to me) without that.

I think, here we could ask more general question: do we want to remove a
> 'IS NOT NULL' clause from the clause list if the rest of the list
> implicitly implies it?

My suggestion was not to remove it, but to avoid adding it in the first
place. When your optimisation has found a join on a group of columns under
a uniqueness constraint, you would do something like this (forgive the
pseudo-code)

foreach(column, join_clause) {
if(column.nullable) { // This condition is what I'm suggesting is added
add_null_test(column, IS_NOT_NULL);
}
}

But it may be that that's not possible or practical at this point in the
code.